Saturday, July 11, 2009

With the recent missile tests by North Korea (seven missiles on July 4th), I was very curious to know the reactions of the average South Korean. Well, I asked my South Korean students and they responded by saying that they were not worried, that they didn't think that Kim Jong-il was that crazy to attack the South because that would mean that he and his regime would die... On the other hand, they said they were grateful for the bad weather we were experiencing (it's the monsoon season) because the North Koreans wouldn't and couldn't attack in such weather. I brought up the fact in class that Kim Jong-il might not really act rationally and that the Generals that surround him, I hope, would act rationally and intervene if he was crazy... my South Korean students just refused to believe Kim Jong-il might be nuts...

No comments: