Sunday, July 12, 2009

It's about 7:40 Sunday evening here and I have some time to update my blog, so I decided to empty my refrigerator and line up stuff from the kitchen, take a picture of it to give you an idea of prices for some things here in Seoul. It's an expensive city to live in, especially if you live, and cook, on your own. From left to right in the picture 1. a bottle of laundry detergent (I don't remember the price), 2. a bottle of pinneapple flavored pop ~1200 won/$1, 3. Korean spaghetti sauce 3600 won/$3.50, 4. a bottle of Korean ketchup ( I think they put more tomatoes in theirs) 2000 won/$2, 5. a can of tuna (their seafood is delicious no matter canned or fresh!), 6. a bag of rice at 1 kg/2.2 lbs. for 3500 won/$3.50, and 7. a box of tissue for 1550 won/$1.60.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dr. Smith,

This is Brett Kritzberger, I was able to go on the trip 2 years ago! I happened to see you pictures and it brought back memories of grocery shopping in Seoul. I hope everything is going well, I graduated this year and am currently in Morristown, NJ starting a two year fellowship with a pharmaceutical company in Medical Affairs. I must say that looking back on all my summers while at ONU, my favorite had to be with the gang in South Korea. Say hi to Soo-em-you and Mr. Chin for me!

-Brett

David R Smith said...

Hi Brett: You da man! You are also the best badmitton player in China! I said hi to Mr Shin for you. Soo Eem got a new job at Seoul National University doing the same thing she did at Hanyang so I haven't seen here. Good luck to you!